Monday, November 18, 2013

Save the Turkey with a Touch of Common Core Writing

I am on what we call a blog posting roll, ladies and gentleman!  I haven't blogged this frequently....well, ever!  I think it's because I love this time of year.  Just when I was feeling the teacher burnout (aren't we all?), here comes Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas!  How in the world can you not just LOVE the holidays?!  So today I'm going to share a fun activity that my students absolutely adore!

First, we begin by reading Turkey Trouble by Wendi Silvano.  You could also read A Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting.  Both involve turkeys that don't want to be eaten for Thanksgiving dinner.  There are several other picture books out there, but these are two of my favorites.  Click the links below to purchase them from Amazon.com.


After reading one of these picture books, we discuss the plot, point of view, and problem/solution.  There are several graphic organizers in my Thanksgiving ELA Printables pack to use when reading either of these books. 


After completing one of the graphic organizers from my pack (there are several that will work), we begin to brainstorm how it would feel if we were a turkey on Thanksgiving Day.  We talk about how we would solve our problem.  The students are assigned the following writing prompt from my November Common Core Writing Unit.  They have to write a letter to try and persuade families to NOT eat turkey for Thanksgiving and provide reasons that support their opinion.

They will have to support their opinion using the following graphic organizers, also included in the unit.

And finally, they will publish their Opinion Piece on differentiated publishing paper, also included in the unit.

You can find all this and more in my November Common Core Writing Pack.  

I hope this fun, seasonal activity helps you tame down the teacher burnout too!  :)

11 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Too bad I just saw it! Oh well, there's always next year!!

    http://livinglifehappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today all that people know in their life and their basic aim in the life is to copy the style of others people or idealized them or put them on their head too much that all they wanted to in their life is to just become like a person of their choice.pharmacist recommendation letter

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your initial introduction to the institute of higher learning of your choice, so write a statement that commands the attention of the admissions officers. nursing school personal statement

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is really very helpful. It helped me and I think It will also to other people Thanks for sharing such an interesting article. This is surely going to help a lot of people. Got to see a valuable content after such a long time. Keep it up! fellowship personal statement

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is quite common these days to use for a loan, get onto sanctioned and receive the number however in a very realistic society, quite an few don't seem to be ready to come back the number all by themselves. this kind of scenario is handled by agencies that handle these cases, statement of purpose help

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summary of Goals: My goal is to hitch any organic compound Company, specifically Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), as an inside Auditor. The prime reason behind change of integrity this company is that the growth of my career similarly as different facilities offered by this company like engaging pay packages, healthy operating setting, bonuses and allowances etc. i am earning a degree from us of America and this may offer Maine a distinction and competitive edge as a result of i will be foreign qualified of Business subjects. statement of purpose for masters

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be an architect though, you first need to make sure that you have the right stuff and get into and graduate from an architecture course. This is where an architecture personal statement comes in. click here

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so important suggestion for me. Because I’m looking for this and also trying to do this. Here I get this. Really very good for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now the time makes the things so difficult and everyone tries to stable the economy of the country but fellowship application letter is the best option for all. The think tank member Davidson give their views about the economy of the turkey. Turkey is the good country and expands the tourism.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Technology should use for the good purpose and this watch is working so well in this center. Lain is doing so well and running according to the rhyme. I love this information but you can get toefl waiver request letter to manage your task and I will pray for his good life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back dear! I am happy that you are back with your blogs. This is a good activity for graphic designers. I really liked the idea you shared with your students.

    ReplyDelete